I’ve written a variation of this exact post a couple of times. I feel like I’m beating a dead horse.
It’s a message that hasn’t sunk in yet for a lot of us and it bears repeating.
We need to stop treating exercise as PUNISHMENT.
We need to stop EXERCISING AWAY our BAD FOOD CHOICES.
I had a hill workout planned for last Tuesday night. These are particularly HARD but oh so fun and rewarding for my clients. Lots of sweat and lots of laughter. Well it started storming pretty badly just beforehand so I had to cancel the workout. Lightning + wet grass + a hill + people = INJURY. That’s when something happened that prompted this post.
A client (who agreed to let me use her as an example ) messaged me and said how disappointed she was about the rain. Her words – “Man, I wish the rain would pass and we could do the hill. I gotta work this donut off!!”
“WORK IT OFF.”
I know that, for me personally, this used to be a daily mantra. After years of anorexia, I was just hungry. I started binge eating (and purging). I’d feel so horrible about myself after a binge that I’d spend two hours on the elliptical to atone for my sins. I look back now and I cringe at those memories. It took MANY years and MANY lessons for me to finally get to a place of happiness and contentment when it comes to my body and food and exercise.
Here are the takeaways:
- Exercise is not punishment for your inability to express self control. That sounds harsh but so is treating your body like a punching bag.
- Food should be seen as fuel for your workouts and for everyday life.
- Food is also enjoyable. You don’t have to eat like a robot –> just make wise decisions 85% of the time. The remaining 15% can be trashy donuts if that’s what keeps you sane.
- You can’t out-exercise a bad diet. If you want to truly change your body, you must change your diet.
- Actually, you COULD out-exercise your bad diet. But you don’t have that kind of time in your day.
- Exercise can be a beautiful tribute to the freedom of movement. Do it because you’re able to – not because you have to. If “freedom” or “beautiful tribute” aren’t words that you’d use to describe your current workout plan, I suggest you change plans.
This perpetual buying into quick fixes and trainers that yell at you and diet magazines and photoshoped images….it needs to stop. With us. With this generation of 30-somethings.
All hands in the huddle.
“MADE. FOR. MORE*,” on three.
Ready. 1 – 2 – 3.
QUESTION: How often do you personally used the phase, “WORK IT OFF” when it comes to poor food choices? Do you view exercise as punishment?
*I’ve got a whole “Made for More”-series coming up. It’ll be good.