This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. For more Game Changing Snacks, visit Blue Diamond Almonds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Since the big game is this coming Sunday, let’s talk football today, shall we? Or rather, let me tell you how little I actually know about the sport.
Lindsay’s Football Facts
1) Football was invented in 1609 when two dueling countries decided to fight over an actual pig. Hence the name, “pigskin” when we’re talking about the football*.
2) The quarterback on every team must meet the following criteria or be kicked out of the league: 1) be “Nebraska-handsome”, 2) must date a super-model or actress and 3) must use the phrase “my hands are my work” in at least one conversation a day*.
*I actually have no idea how football got started or if “Nebraska-handsome” is a thing…(but it should be). My mother uses the phrase, “My hands are my work!” when she doesn’t want to do manual labor. She’s a dental hygienist so I guess it kinda makes sense.
Blue Diamond Almond recently sent me some of their Wasabi & Soy Sauce and Smokehouse almonds to try out. Umm…YUM to both flavors!! Then they challenged me to come up with a GAME DAY snack in preparation for the big game on Sunday. True to my core, I chose the easiest recipe I could and made some fun substitutions. After playing around for at least 5 minutes in the kitchen, Creamy Smokehouse Chicken Dip was born. It’s PERFECT for your football crowd – tangy, creamy and packed with protein! The finely chopped almonds add flavor and a little bit of texture. We ate our dip with Blue Diamond Nut Thins and celery sticks.
Give it a go (and then get over here and fill me in on this football stuff).
Creamy Smokehouse Chicken Dip
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 can of Blue Diamond Almond Smokehouse almonds, finely chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (I love using greek cream cheese – higher protein content)
- 3/4 cup light ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup pepper sauce (such as Texas Pete)
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in chopped almonds, cream cheese, ranch dressing and bbq sauce. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture into an 8×8 pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 12-15 minutes. Before serving, top with any remaining almonds you have. Serve with celery sticks and/or chips. <-Blue Diamond happens to make a SMOKEHOUSE Nut Thin but I couldn’t find it at the store I went to so I used their Sea Salt flavor – still great!
QUESTION: Will you be watching the big game on Sunday? What are you making as far as food goes (and can we come over?)?