Two months in! I think we’ll keep him.
Life is going well for this family of five! I was a little worried about jealousy issues (especially from Clara) when Porter came along but I’m SO happy to say that I haven’t seen even a hint! They love him. They dote on him. They ask where he is first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I just love it.
Two Months Postpartum – Me
40 weeks/1 Month PP/2 Months PP
- I weigh 150 pounds. If you’ve read for a while, you know that I don’t weigh myself. Welp…out of curiosity yesterday, I stepped on Travis’ bathroom scale. I’d love to tell you that I’m 100% happy with where I’m at physically…but I’m not (it’s more like 80% happy). I know some of you will roll your eyes about that comment (Colleen wrote a great post about this very topic) but I’m just being open and honest.
- All that being said, I’m not making any drastic changes to lose weight (nor do I plan to). I’m still eating whatever I want. I’m working out daily and I feel FIT and STRONG. I’m getting as much sleep as I can. Basically, it would be nice to tighten things up but I’m not really doing anything extreme to get there. My body will take care of itself. If I really set my mind to it, I’m sure I could get that 6-pack back…but I’m not willing to put in any stressful work. Does that make me lazy? Content? Whatever.
- Nursing still makes me pretty hungry. I’m eating and snacking all day long. Mostly healthy…sometimes not.
- I’m starting to get caught up on sleep (see Porter’s SLEEP section below!) and it makes a HUGE difference in my attitude. I’m still getting broken sleep but I’m able to function normally during the day and don’t feel like I need to nap as much as I did the first month postpartum.
- My hair is starting to fall out. I remember this happening with Henry and Clara. I need to start using the hair trap thingy that we have in the shower.
- I’m getting back to running! This week, I made it a goal to get out the door for a short 15-minute run EVERY DAY before Travis heads to work. So far, so good. Gets the blood flowing and serves as prayer time for me.
- Katy and I are still lifting weights 3 times a week. We’ve added “finishers” to each workout and they’re definitely helping my cardiovascular capacity! (would you like to see a few of these finishers?)
- I thoroughly enjoyed working out with the other girls at Blend. There’s nothing quite like group fitness, is there?! Almost makes me want to get back to the gym…almost.
- I’m happy. Content. And a lot of stress has been taken off of my day-to-day now that Blend is over.
- Postpartum hormones are still present (and will be for a few more months). Some days I cry for no apparent reason but I quickly see this as hormonal and not anything wrong with life or the present situation.
- I’m thinking about taking the month of July off from a lot of things. I need a summer break – a time to be present with my kids and “put my feet up.” We’ll see….stay tuned.
Moving on to the babe…
Two Months Old – Porter
1 Month/2 Months
Just like the last update, I’ll divide Porter’s update into three sections: EAT, AWAKE and SLEEP. We use (and have used for all three kids) the Baby Wise method and it works well for us. If you thrive off of schedules like me, you should look into this book (I also recommend, “Secrets of the Baby Whisperer.” Both books follow the eat, awake, sleep cycles that work well in my opinion!)
- Porter loves to nurse…simple as that. As my MIL said, he is a little piggy. He literally grunts ALL DAY LONG but especially when he nurses. It’s like his most favorite thing to do. Makes me smile. I LOVE our nursing time too.
- He nurses every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day. He cluster feeds at night from about 5pm until 9pm.
- Nurses on both sides and takes about 15 minutes total to become satiated.
- Spits up like a champ – after every feeding, you HAVE to sit him upright and just wait for the inevitable spit up. He’s also starting to drool.
- Such a happy baby! Easy going and laid back…very similar to Clara.
- He’s SMILING!! Started about 2 weeks ago. You really have to work for it (think high animation) but he’ll smile and when he does, you can see his dimples. Gah – what a cutie!
- Likes: Nursing, smiling, his brother and sister, being swaddled
- Dislikes: Being hungry, getting OUT of the bath
- In every 3 hour cycle during the day, Porter takes a 1 1/2 –2 hour nap.
- He has cut out one of his nighttime feedings (YAY!!!) – he goes down around 8pm, dream feeds at 10pm, gets up to nurse around 4:30 or 5am and then up for the day at 7:30 or 8am.
- We swaddle. He loves it. (here’s the one I use)
- He’s still sleeping in his bassinet and takes most naps in his crib (in Henry’s room). He’ll fall asleep anywhere though.
For more postpartum updates: