Top 5 Reasons You Should Take a Walk
The leaves are changing, the temperatures getting cooler. All baked goods now contain pumpkin and candy corn has become a food group in most households (mine included). The thing about Fall is that it passes quickly! In no time, the air outside will resemble an ice box. Actually, for some of you Canadians, it might already.
My goal: To soak up as much of this CRISP, FALL air as possible!
And what better way to do it than to TAKE A WALK. The benefits of walking are endless, but I thought I’d share my top 5 reasons for using walking as a daily treat! Currently, I’m using walking as a means of STRESS RELIEF while dealing with nausea. My pace has slowed, but I’m still getting out there!
1. Walking is a low impact activity, meaning that it puts little to no strain on your joints and ligaments. Perfect for new moms who are looking to begin an exercise regime but don’t know where to start, walking is EASY! You simply put one foot in front of the other!
2. Walking burns calories. Depending on your pace, a 140 pound woman can burn anywhere from 80 to 102 calories per mile!
Several factors can ADD to that calorie burn too – pushing a stroller, moving your arms swiftly, holding weights or using ankle weights.
3. Not only does walking help you stray trim and lean, but it also helps reduce the risk of many of the major health issues that we face, namely heart disease, cancer and stroke. As with any form of exercise, walking does not PREVENT these diseases from occurring, but rather, helps to keep your body as healthy as possible to REDUCE the risk of life threatening illnesses.
4. Need a mood booster? GO WALK! If you can, get off the treadmill and walk outside! Not only does your body release endorphins when you exercise (that’s why all those fit people are happy!), but walking also presents your mind with a chance to decompress and process the day’s events.
5. Walking requires little to no equipment! All you need is a good pair of shoes, some time and possibly a jogging stroller! No need for an expensive gym membership! Walking can be done on your local greenway, high school track or even in your living room (imagine marching in place!). It’s one of the cheapest forms of exercise there is!
So there you have it! (I’m always looking for walking buddies, so hit me up!)
QUESTION: Do you enjoy a good walk?? Rather be running?