The leaves are changing, the temperatures getting cooler. All baked goods now contain pumpkin and candy corn has become a food group in most households (mine included). The thing about Fall is that it passes quickly! In no time, the air outside will resemble an ice box. Actually, for some of you Canadians, it might already.
My goal: To soak up as much of this CRISP, FALL air as possible!
And what better way to do it than to TAKE A WALK. The benefits of walking are endless, but I thought I’d share my top 5 reasons for using walking as a daily treat! Currently, I’m using walking as a means of STRESS RELIEF while dealing with nausea. My pace has slowed, but I’m still getting out there!
1. Walking is a low impact activity, meaning that it puts little to no strain on your joints and ligaments. Perfect for new moms who are looking to begin an exercise regime but don’t know where to start, walking is EASY! You simply put one foot in front of the other!
2. Walking burns calories. Depending on your pace, a 140 pound woman can burn anywhere from 80 to 102 calories per mile!
Several factors can ADD to that calorie burn too – pushing a stroller, moving your arms swiftly, holding weights or using ankle weights.
3. Not only does walking help you stray trim and lean, but it also helps reduce the risk of many of the major health issues that we face, namely heart disease, cancer and stroke. As with any form of exercise, walking does not PREVENT these diseases from occurring, but rather, helps to keep your body as healthy as possible to REDUCE the risk of life threatening illnesses.
4. Need a mood booster? GO WALK! If you can, get off the treadmill and walk outside! Not only does your body release endorphins when you exercise (that’s why all those fit people are happy!), but walking also presents your mind with a chance to decompress and process the day’s events.
5. Walking requires little to no equipment! All you need is a good pair of shoes, some time and possibly a jogging stroller! No need for an expensive gym membership! Walking can be done on your local greenway, high school track or even in your living room (imagine marching in place!). It’s one of the cheapest forms of exercise there is!
So there you have it! (I’m always looking for walking buddies, so hit me up!)
QUESTION: Do you enjoy a good walk?? Rather be running?
I have always chosen to run rather than walk… until recently. I am injured right now so I literally CAN’T run. This weekend I walked more with my husband than we have in a while and it was absolutely worth it!
I LOVE WALKING! I’ve actually been doing uphill intervals as sort of a HIIT workout because it jacks your heartrate up. I’ve also been taking lots of post dinner walks. Gots to soak up this Minnesota Fall before it’s H E double hockey sticks aka winter.
You can’t beat a good walk- sometimes it’s great to do alone, other times the perfect thing to do with a friend!
Amen, I LOVE walking! Always my go-to when more strenuous workouts just aren’t cutting it for me that day. My only issue now is that my jogging stroller only seats 1, and my 6 1/2 year old refuses to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. (sigh. the bribes are growing by the day.) Enter walking around the block in the pre-dawn hours (when it’s still cool in TX) and praying that my kids don’t wake up early ;). And if I lived nearby, I would TOTALLY hit you up!
I used to hate walking and only liked to run. But, after taking a break from running to focus on other fitness things, I started to love going for walks with my boyfriend around a lake by my house! It’s so peaceful and such a nice way to spend time with loved ones!
Oh my gosh, I LOVE going on walks and walking. Living in Chicago is such a blessing because I walk so much just running errands and going places.
Lately I’ve been doing a lot of walking with my baby, Addie. It’s a great way to get us both out of the house!!
I love walking! It remains my absolute favorite form of exercise.
I used to say I’d rather be running, but I have found I really enjoy a good walk now. Like our walks to Starbucks or hiking. :)
Since i’ve been pregnant i’ve started loving it more and more…especially mid workday when i need to get away from my desk! I keep a pair of socks and tennis shoes at my desk at all times :)
This is my favorite time of year for walks. The weather is gorgeous, the air is crisp, and the leaves are changing colors and just beautiful. Hunter and our dogs love it too!
Walking is just the best. I try to walk to/from campus most days, which equates to about 50 minutes. It’s the perfect “me-time.” I also love taking walks with my girl friends, because we chat the entire way. Nothing makes the time fly like a good gossip sesh!
Im so so so a walker.
to my “office” and back again.
I love a good walk! Right now for me, walking is a means to explore my new neighborhood. You never know what you’ll find! :)
I made a goal to walk to the dogs everyday.. so that I get my booty and theirs outside as much as possible this fall! (: Its been the best goal ever!
i LOVE walking! ever since i’ve had to give up working out, walks have been my saving grace!!