this 31 year old body
In the spirit of tradition, I decided to again write a love letter to this ol’ body of mine (expect 3 more of these as we’ve got 3 more birthdays coming up in the next month). 31 may not seem like many years to some, but to me it’s the most I’ve ever seen and so I’ll honor this birthday (it’s tomorrow) and this body that’s made it this far.
Because she’s a beaut.
Because she works hard for me, every moment of every day.
Because she deserves a little respect. No. A lot of respect.
Because she’s me.
In your 30th year of existence, you’ve dealt with:
- plantar fasciitis in your left foot. An injury that still hasn’t completely healed.
- countless piggy back rides and trips to the park (…that included trips over bricks, roots and rocks. This body…she’s a bit clumsy.)
- two pregnancies. …And two miscarriages.
- daily workouts and not enough rest days.
In the past year, you’ve carried me through:
- five shows at the theater.
- a 10-month house renovation and move.
- 27 Track Star workouts (yes, I keep track of the track.)
- four seasons of ups and downs
You’re strong and I like that. Yes, my mind has MADE you get up and go to the gym, repeatedly lifting, sprinting and jumping – pushing you farther than you thought possible. But it was YOU who did the work for me. You body, with arms and a back that I’m proud to show off. You body, with thick thighs that touch when I walk. Heck, I’m just thankful that you’ll walk. Thick thighs are becoming a thing, I hear.
Respect and thanksgiving from me, for a baby from you. Whole, nourishing foods from me, for the promise that you won’t transport my weekly brownie fix straight to your gut. Face paint and some sweet calf socks from me, in return for a few adventure races from you. Sunscreen for supple skin. Fiber supplements for…well, you know. I love a good deal.
Happy Birthday, Body! I’m stuck with you.
And I really, really couldn’t be more happy about that.
QUESTION: If you could write a letter to your body, what would you thank it for?