healing the gut – DIET changes
Yesterday, I alluded to the fact that I’m going to have to make some changes to my DIET in order to heal my gut. Like most people, I don’t like change. And I REALLY don’t like putting any sort of restriction on my food. I’ve been there. It’s not a place that I care to linger and what can sometimes be healthy for other people has the possibility of turning UGLY for me. I start to obsess. That voice starts to whisper again. Now I can quell it. I have that power. But it’s still there.
BUT….this “poo problem” needs a long term solution and I’m willing to make sacrifices if it means healing.
According to my acupuncturist (and SO many online health resources addressing the bowels), in order to help heal the gut, it’s wise to make dietary changes. Here’s a list of the foods I’m told to AVOID (as they tend to constipate and/or put strain on the digestive system):
- White foods (processed breads, cookies, cakes, rolls, etc)
- Fried foods
Yikes. I love all of these foods (except alcohol – don’t love the taste). I have the biggest sweet tooth you’ve ever known. So much so, that my mother-in-law buys candy corn in bulk just for me. I tend to have a baked good in the house at all times and when it’s gone, I bake another one. Yes, I eat very healthy 80% of the time, but the other 20% is pure rubbish!
Well I have something to share. Through an event that I’ll not discuss, I have been eating a VEGAN-NO SUGAR diet for the last three weeks. No caffeine, no processed foods, no sugar, no dairy, no meat. Let me tell you – I FEEL AMAZING! Energized, “clean”, lean. And FREE from all the addictive food vices that I had before. I definitely attribute a great deal of my success in the bathroom to this change in eating.
So the question is – “Will I continue to eat a vegan-no sugar diet?”
The answer: Kinda.
The fast is over (we broke it Sunday), but I want to continue eating a (mostly) LOW SUGAR diet but introduce lean proteins in the form of chicken, fish and eggs. I’ll aim to focus all my meals around PLANTS – because if I don’t, I know myself and I won’t eat very many vegetables. I also want to juice on a daily basis – I LOVE how it makes me feel (and I bought that super expensive Blendtec so I’d better make good use of it)! I won’t be having my daily ice cream or cheese, but I also won’t be reading every single label to see if a product contains dairy.
I guess overall, I just want to be more cognizant of what goes into my body. I want to focus on eating REAL FOODS and not PRODUCTS. Focus, but not obsess. There is a big difference there.
Let me be perfectly clear – I’m not doing this for weight loss. In fact, my “winter weight” is long gone. I’m making these changes because I’ve seen what they can do for my body, for my energy and for my overall health. Will I make brownies again? ABSOLUTELY! I love brownies – they bring me GREAT joy! I just won’t be baking them every.single.week. So if you happen to see a cookie or a brownie or a cookie brownie on my Instagram feed, don’t flip out.
It’s just me being me. A person who’s desperately seeking balance.
QUESTION: Have you ever taken the sugar/white foods out of your diet? Alcohol – love it/hate it?