Did you know that your muscles grow the most when they are at rest?
That you can actually damage weight loss efforts and muscle growth by overtraining your body? That with too much exercise, your heart grows fainter (instead of stronger) and your body often relies on muscle tissue for fuel?
Oh, and it’s a problem to lose sleep over. Literally – over exercising causes insomnia.
Lately, I’ve been exercising too much.
And lately, I’ve been tearing down things in my life that don’t belong.
An addiction to exercise is one of them.
That’s why for the next FIVE days, I’ll be taking a COMPLETE REST from exercise.
All forms. (except sex – phew!)
My body needs this.
Although I know it will be very hard, my mind needs it.
How It Will Look:
- I have called subs for all of my classes.
- I will not participate in any exercises with my training clients.
- I will not take any exercise classes.
- I will not strength train/perform cardio.
What I Will Allow:
(I hate that word – allow.)
- If needed, ONE daily walk with the kids. Limited to 2~ miles at a creeping pace. I will allow this for my mental health, as movement is a release for me, but I can’t let it take on the form of exercise.
On Friday, I will break my “exercise fast” by attending a Bootcamp. The five days leading up to that, I will focus on clean eating, rest, God and my family.
No exercise for FIVE DAYS.
Oh gosh. This is going to kill me.
Or make me stronger.
I pick the latter.
QUESTION: Have you ever taken purposeful rest days? Five in a row? How often do you rest?