Welcome to the 10th edition of Tuesday Trainer!! This week, we’re beginning our “Equipment Series”, with the first installment being RESISTANCE BANDS!
Quick side story: I remember the first time I ever used a resistance band. It was actually a gift from my lovely husband – our first ever Valentine’s Day as a married couple. Since we were poor on money, but rich on love, we decided to forgo gifts that year. We had several conversations about the topic: how we weren’t getting one another gifts and how that was ok. Valentine’s Day comes and what does Travis do? Get’s me Billy Blank’s Taebo set (which came with resistance bands, i.e. the point of this whole rabbit trail). I got him …nothing, just like we had talked about.
Now anytime we’re in an argument or quarrel, he likes to bring up the fact that he got ME something for that V Day and got nothing in return. Good marriaging, dude. It’s a wonder that he’s still alive and not laying in a ditch somewhere, strangled by said resistance band.
Back to Tuesday Trainer…
Be honest. When you think about training with resistance bands, what comes to mind? Middle aged women in spandex? Never men. People who can’t lift heavy? The elderly?
While resistance bands ARE a little easier to work with than your standard dumbbell or body bar in terms of increasing your strength, they have their place in a high quality, get your heart pumpin’ workout! You just have to know how to use them in order to get the most bang for your buck!
There are a few tips to making RB workouts more challenging:
- Select thicker tubes for more resistance.
- Double loop the band around your hands and/or play around with how far apart your feet are when performing a standing exercise.
- Perform a higher number of repetitions (12-20 range)
Benefits to training with resistance bands:
- Create continuous tension on your muscles, as opposed to using dumbbells. You can focus on the concentric (shortening the muscle) AND eccentric (lengthening the muscle) motions.
- Mobility – You can take them anywhere!! Unlike dumbbells, resistance bands can be easily packed if you are traveling or working out away from home!
- AND they’re pretty CHEAP! I found this set of 5 for around $25 – with varying resistances and interchangeable handles!
Not too shabby! I might wear spandex, but I’m NOT middle-aged!
Now – who’s ready to workout?!?!
**Disclaimer – As with ANY new exercise program, it is wise to consult a physician. Pay careful attention to each exercise’s instruction!!**
Trainer Tips: We’ll be doing some Isometric Holds, which means that we’ll focus on holding the exercises to maintain the muscle at a certain length. For example, as you perform the Bicep Curl, you’ll pause for x amount of seconds at the top of the move, then lower. I’ve indicated the duration of the hold below.
– Select a RB that is challenging enough for you to perform the exercises with, but that also allows you to execute them with correct form.
– Most of the plyometric moves can be found here. Heel clickers = plyo jump with a heel click at the peak of the jump.
– Perform circuit one time through. For more of a challenge, perform twice through.
|Overhead Press||20 seconds/5|
|Barrel Jumps||30 seconds|
|Hip Adduction||20 seconds/5|
|360 Plyo Squat||30 seconds|
|Lawnmower Row||10 seconds/10 each arm|
|Plyo Burpees||30 seconds|
|Tricep Extension||10 seconds/10 each arm|
|Jump Squats||30 seconds|
|Bicep Curl||10 seconds/10|
|Heel Clickers||30 seconds|
|Curtsy Lunge/Hip Adduction Combo||12 each leg|
|Walking Squat||10 each direction|
Bicep Curl – Me
Overhead Press – Heather, betterwithveggies
Tricep Extension – Kirsten, kcaptures
Hip Adduction– Kristin, eathealthybehappylivewell
Lawn Mower Row– Heather, healthywithheather
Curtsy Lunge/Hip Adduction/Shoulder Press – Kristin, STUFTmama
Walking Squat – Christin, christinjoyful
Thank you, my ladies!! Such talent in this bunch, eh?! If you’d like to join in on the fun, come back Thursday when I’ll announce the next theme in this “Equipment Series”. For past Tuesday Trainer’s, go here – we’ve made QUITE the exercise catalog!! You should be able to find something to fit your fitness needs!!
OR you could just get your rake on.
QUESTIONS: Have you done any of the Tuesday Trainer workouts? Worked with resistance bands before? Been made a fool by your husband?