I’m often asked (usually by my father, who paid for my college education, and might be just a tad perturbed that I’m not using it), what do I do all day??
Good question…some days, even I don’t know.
When Henry was first-born, Travis would come home and ask how my day went and what I had done. Totally innocent question. Not for a postpartum Lindsay. I’d break down in tears and try to spout off a long list, trying to prove to him that I wasn’t wasting my time, you know, watching my stories and eating bon-bons.
It was Facebook and brownies.
He reassured me that, even if I did sit around all day, nursing and changing diapers, that he was happy that I was the one taking care of our child, that I was the one raising Henry up. I didn’t need to impress him. I just needed to be content in my decision to stay home.
Easier said than done…
Nowadays, with two kids, my day goes by in a blur! It seems we’re always on the go, sometimes intentionally. I’m not one to stay at home, even if I do stay-at-home.
So I thought I’d show you what I did all day, list style of course.
- 4:01 AM: Nurse Clara
- 6:00 AM: Travis’ alarm goes off, hit him, roll back over
- 6:05 AM: Snooze alarm goes off, hit him, roll back over
- 7:30 AM: Henry BURSTS into room, waving his lasso (aka my nursing bra) over his head. Wake up for the day.
- 7:45 AM: Nurse Clara. Change diaper. Take Henry to potty.
- 8:00 AM: Eat Luna bar. Decide I like the Cookie Dough flavor better.
- 8:20 AM: Meet Bekah and her baby, Avery, for hilly walk. Push 60 pounds of kiddos, 4.5 miles.
- 9:48 AM: Post office to return Netflix movie.
- 10:00 AM: Home. Nurse Clara. Change diaper. Take Henry to potty.
- 10:10 AM: Put Clara down for nap.
- 10:12 AM: Be a mean mommy and take picture of crying baby who doesn’t want to nap.
- 10:15 AM: Take shower, sing into shampoo “microphone”. Clara finally goes to sleep.
- 10:25 AM: Eat second breakfast.
- 10:30 AM: Drink coffee. Check up on blogs.
- 10:45 AM: Put on Cars for Henry, feed him carrots. Become envious of his life.
- 11:00 AM: Organize new canister set. Admire organization.
(Front Row: Ghetto tape labels: G for Guar, X for Xanthan
Back Row: Ground Flaxseed, Almonds, Ghiradelli Chocolate/Reese PB Chip Parfait)
- 11:15 AM: Start laundry
- 11:20 AM: More blogs. More coffee
- 11:45 AM: Henry BURSTS into Clara’s room, waving “lasso” over head. Clara wakes up.
- 12:00 PM: Nurse Clara. Change diaper. Take Henry to potty.
- 12:10 PM: Vacuum house. Relish in the fact that it’s only 800 sq. ft.
- 12:15 PM: Gather trash. Move laundry along.
- 12:20 PM: Kids to car. Comedian Henry pretends to be asleep. I have to say “Wake Up!”. Repeat this 7 times.
- 12:25 PM: Go to bank. Get sucker to shut Henry up.
- 12:26 PM: Sucker is long gone. Henry does not shut up.
- 12:30 PM: Visit Travis at work. Grab his butt in front of co-workers.
- 12:45 PM: Go to Walmart. Highlight: FREE toothpaste with coupons.
- 1:25 PM: Go to Ingles (grocery store). Highlight: CHEAP Cranberries!
- 2:15 PM: Home. Nurse Clara. Change Diaper. Take Henry to potty.
- 2:30 PM: Put Henry down for nap. Put Clara down for nap.
- 2:45 PM: BREATH!
- 2:47 PM: Fold laundry. Put away laundry (worst chore ever, right?)
(did I really just take a picture of laundry?!? lame.)
- 3:00 PM: Eat lunch. Forget to take picture of lunch.
- 3:20 PM: Lay Henry back down. Threaten spankings if he doesn’t go to sleep.
- 3:21 PM: Play another game of “Wake Up!” with Henry. Wonder to self if this is helping with his nap.
- 3:25 PM: Upload pictures. Type up some of this post. Sext with Travis.
- 3:45 PM: Threaten Henry again.
- 4:00 PM: More coffee. Peruse HBO, find “Eat, Pray, Love”. Remember why I didn’t like it, because it makes me want to eat.
- 5:05 PM: Henry, who never went to sleep, begins yelling for me to go get him. Go get him.
- 5:10 PM: Nurse Clara. Change diaper. Take Henry to potty.
- 5:45 PM: Go to gym. Do this lady’s workout.
- 7:00 PM: Return home. Drink protein shake. Take shower, sing into shampoo again.
- 7:15 PM: Heat up leftover Turkey Meatloaf. Eat dinner.
- 8:00 PM: Give Henry bath. Put Henry to bed.
- 8:15 PM: Nurse Clara. Change diaper. Put Clara to bed.
- 8:30 PM: BREATH!!
- 8:31 PM: Make out with Travis….
- 9:15 PM: Eat cereal (Cinnamon Honey Bunches of Oats and Reese Puffs). Watch Arrested Development. Remember why I love A.D. so much – Jason Bateman. swoon.
- 9:45 PM: Finish typing post. Publish. Bed.
All to be repeated again tomorrow…and this was a day we didn’t “do” anything.
Glamorous? Hardly. Mundane? Sometimes. Hilarious? Always!
And while it may get a little old nursing, changing diapers, and catering to Henry’s carrot fetish, I’m the one who gets all the hugs, smiles and kisses, not some daycare worker. It’s my full-time job. It’s what I do all day.